Monday, April 12, 2010

7 day count down, LIFT OFF and ... its been real!

Today I arrived back home in order to be in time for our preliminary flat-inspection… (Pre determinant of our $750 deposit….that we deserve back.) being slightly later than my 2 flatmates, I was the lucky winner of becoming cleaner of the bathroom area…the sink…where everyone spits….the shower where dirty people go and the toilet where everyone…well lets not get too visual now…and this…has not reeeeally been cleaned in a few weeks or months…
I am proud to say that I am proud of myself and the good job I did…. The toilet shines, the taps shine and the shower SPARKLES. One would think that a shower might be the cleanest place in an apartment as that is where everyone comes out clean…? No? So anyway slowly slowly there is a lot of movement in and around these apartments as people try to boycott paying more rent…


Easter weekend is drawing near and as the week comes to an end the work environment is filled with mixed emotions of sombreness and excitement, people are becoming gushy as the South Africans have stolen many hearts and have a special place in MANZANITA.


So the day arrives where we all start taking our final shifts at Manzanita, it’s sad, it’s exciting, it’s exhilarating and its hard work to stay focussed… by the end of the night I was the lucky winner of a pie-in the face…WHAM!! :D good way to end an Unbelievable experience. I have said it many times but these boys and girls I will ALWAYS love!! I try to keep this blog ‘name-free’ but in honour of these AMAZING guys from the restaurant, I have to ‘name-throw’ a bit… Jake, Josh, Ryan, Danny, Lucas, Adam, Beatriz, Sarah, Kim, Cameron, Scott, Justin, Dylan. These guys make it all worthwhile!!! Thanx for the unbelievable memories.


I’ve always kind of thought of myself as a cool cat and a tough-cookie, but as I started leaving Truckee…I started biting back the tears…. Nevertheless…we headed over to Reno, I was to catch my flight at 06.30 Thursday morning, so had to be at the airport a good 04:30 in the morn….our MISSION…should we choose to accept it…stay awake so I can sleep in the aeroplanes (plural…many…more than 1!!). and this is JUST what we did….as a team of 6 we booked a room at the CIRCUS CIRCUS hotel…well 2 of the 6 did…while the rest of us dispersed…in search of a drink…this is the baby Vegas you know…. And so the night of fun, laughter, eating, gambling and dancing had begun… before we knew it, it was time to head to the airport, as we fought with a taxi driver who made us leave a friend behind…the tears were inevitable. At the airport I repacked my bags rather than paying $ 150 for overweight. And thus was left with not 2 pieces of carry-on …but 4!!!


After greeting the people so close to my heart…the tears were running down my face like waterworks….how can you learn to love people so much only to say goodbye again…I walked through security and as I place my WHOLE PACK of carry-ons on the conveyor I knew I was going to have NO trouble waltzing through here as this poor girl is crying her eyes out….I place, my handbag, back pack, laptop, and rolly bag…jacket boots and belt on the strip and noooo one says nothing! They DID however find a knife in my bag…..I’m sorry officer I reeeaaallly didn’t know it was there…it was my bottle opener from work….such a good employee right;)


Furthermore I’ll spare you the details but in short I flew to Salt Lake city where I found my flight to Atlanta to be delayed, hence I was bummed onto another flight so that I could get to Atlanta in time for my JHB flight… this flight took me to Vegas….where I almost missed my flight to Atlanta as this one I was on was ALSO delayed…ran onto my next one which was obviously free and…well…FIRST class…wined and dined…NICE…. ATLANTA…BOOM….Thank the Lord when I saw at gate D12….”Johannesburg…on time….” HA-LE-LUJA. Funny..this flight was ALSO delayed, but 14 hrs and 33 min later, I landed at OR Thambo, rushed with a mixture of emotions….BOOM…


…this just happened….


USA, Ritz-Carlton, Manzanita – server attendant… ROCK BOTTOM….check….let’s move up.


3 weeks and counting as my wings take me to Australia to start a bit more of a life than a 5 month ‘vacation-job’.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts...