So there is no point in my lying to you or pulling shades over your eyes, but island life can be hard. These last two weeks have been a form of hell to be honest. I wear boat-shoes / deck shoes, which are genuine leather and as such are not too flexible or bendy, they are hard and encourage deformed, blistered and painful feet. I have cried and I have laughed at myself and with myself, in have felt sorry for myself and I have felt proud of myself, been lonely and been in good company. In short I guess I have lived enormously within a week, welcome to life – ADVENTURE X life! I have doubted myself, doubted my abilities and doubted my goals but that all comes with any of these drastic changes I take upon myself - change. No one said it would be easy, but it definitely will become easier :D
As I write this blog it is raining buckets, it rained buckets all night after a scorching hot day and has been hanging above our heads all day, it was humid, so humid, it was hot and uncomfortable and then it just rained. It is amazing though when it rains it seems the most appropriate to go swimming because I CAN. Well in short, yeah, there is always sunshine after the rain…literally…ALWAYS. I was walking to work the other and in the last 20 steps to the staff room, it’s just came BUCKETING down…no warning no nothing…BUCKETS! 5 metre DASH!
So let’s talk a little ‘shop’ here. This last week, I have worked 7 days straight and day off is on its way, it’s awesome in a way that the guests really start building a ‘relationship’ with you- as a food and beverage attendant, you are one of the faces they see the most of…i.e. breakfast, lunch and dinner. So even though you get paid less and probably for ‘unskilled labour’ you are a great ambassador of the resort as you are kind of expected to know everything… questions come your way. With every new day new guests come and some guests go. You learn their way sand get to know them, at the end of the stay you kind of love them all, you know what they like, still or sparkling, wine, bread no bread, vegemite or not, no sugar, ‘ameri – can co-fee’ each couple, family or group know you and you know them, then …. They leave… all is forgotten and you have to make new ‘friends’ every time you great guests it really does get harder.
So I think I have mentioned that my house is all about ‘ilse-ness’ in short, it’s AWESOME!!! I now have a TV, have stuck things on my walls and well…there are wheels under my bed so sometimes during the night I roll around a bit more than usual… ;-) [Ha ha did u get that?]
So there are about 60 staff members on this island or something like that, DESPERATELY under staffed at the moment, but apparently things will get better, and it is, apparently as islands go, people get island-fever and they come in batches, I am already ‘old-news’ as new people come in within the next weeks. 2 weeks and I am CREAMING it, I am KICKING it and I am in control – here we go! BOOM! Breakfast’s lunches, dinner’s sunset drinks and mini bar. BOOM!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
A penny for your thoughts...