Sunday, September 19, 2010

...isLand JiBBER jaBBER...

***page break....this might be a very wishy washy and boring all over the place blog....APOLOGIES....we need one of these to get my ass back in gear and back on track....***

Been on the island now for almost 3 months, I have received a free ticket back to the mainland as a ‘reward’ and as such I have also accumulated 100 hours of overtime in 8 weeks, which is SHA-WEET! I will honestly say though that this morning as I am typing this blog, I DO feel it in my body. Within these 3 weeks I have seen, staff members resign and leave, new ones arrive and not cut it and leave as well as new ones arrive and are still here I have also been here for the return of some that left the time I arrived.


2 weeks ago this was a very hot place, not hot as in scorching hot, but hot as in HOT 27 or 30 degrees by 10am…and then just topped off with a DASH of humidity… in a nutshell that refers to ASS-sweat…. Which I have actually factually proven to not be entirely true… let me explain… we wear thin light beige/tan pants (shorts in day, longs at night) as well as ‘n polyester navy blue shirt which does NOT absorb water…i.e. the sweat trickles down your back, wait, I had a very poetic way of describing it the other day that it almost sounded nice… the small beads of sweat, trickled and rolled down the curves of our backs as they gently settled in the crack. So in a nutshell the pants act as a net for the sweat and it all gets absorbed and then the patch gets bigger and bigger, to such an extent that we have 2 or 3 wardrobe changes a day…during 2 services. With some people pants may be wet UP TO THE KNEE…. It’s disgusting but it is the RAW truth. Oh and of course these HOTTEST days followed the week in which the resort was at 108% occupancy- so it’s been real busy.



This last week the resort has been booked out for a wedding party, 45 guests (all flown in and staying in house). So there have been huge dinners and canapés and cocktail parties and today is in fact beach wedding, and as such tonight will be another loooong night. But I do enjoy it.

This Sunday coming up, we have 6 guests in house and as such only have 3 or 4 staff members rostered for that day; our supervisor encouraged us to go party on the beach next door. We made flyers and spread the word, Sunday all day, we will be chilling on the beach, drinking and dancing and playing volley ball, tug of war and well…just CHILLING!!!

O how can I forget my last ‘day-off-story’ so I had the same day off as one of our chefs and the weather has not entirely been ‘beach-lying’ weather. So we went in for lunch at the restaurant. SUPERB. Here’s the catch…. And now listen, really carefully…. I got tipsy on CHAMPAGNE….the proper stuff, French ones….ha ha ha WHAT A LIFE right…??? About 2 and a half bottles between the two of us. Food was amazing too, it was the day before our barge service arrived so as such ingredients were LIMITED and WE could tell but others couldn’t. Cheese is always the highlight though… this place just knows how to do cheese and it’s BEAUTIFUL.

A few days ago we had a party at the social club and so myself and two other characters, one from water sports and the island naturalist, decided to make our own cocktails as he had just bought a mixer. So we made 3…the first one being quite a ‘party-starter’ with a bit of zing to it, we called RAAAWBERRY (I can’t remember the entire recipe) but the following cocktail was called ‘poetry in a glass’ 1 shot vodka, 2 shots Malibu, I shot Chambord, 5fresh cherries (stoned), 2 shots Ribena and top up with ice and blend…AMAZING….it’s like...’poetry in a glass’. After that creation we then jazzed it up a little and added another shot of vodka to the mix… creating the one and only…PMC – ‘pop my cherry’ make it at home friends its AAAMAZING.




Anyway that was just a quick feed, life is good, life is grand, and life is GREAT.



That was WEEKS ago, I have been extremely slack, and thank Suzanney for the pressure of posting now… ;-) but I have just come back from mainland and as such am back on the island now for like another good 3 months. It is REAL good to be back…that’s when you know you got a good job. I did however have an absolutely AWESOME time off, got fetched from the airport by none other than my mom dad and sister – awesome awesome. We then went to a normal caravan / camping ground a ‘holiday park’. Let’s just say these aussies do it in style…the camping grounds are STUNNING and I would actually be able to live there like a hippie…. It’s got Wi-Fi and everything… right? Anyway here we were also attacked by green and woken by bats/birds whatever makes that noise – but it was all in all good. During my time here we went up to KUranda which takes you over the Daintree heritage forest in a cable car for MILES…from above you see the most stunning and dense rainforest you can even see the magnificent and huge Ulysses butterflies and hear the buzzing of a kingdom of bugs!

 


From the cable car we were able to get off and take a walk on the boardwalk through the forest –BEAUTIFUL. The way back was via the scenic railway, emphasis on SCENIC as scenic implies it goes half the speed it usually would –still beautiful and amazing but a tad bit long as everyone tries to hide behind sunglasses or take a catnap in the tunnels…

Anyway after exploration I had the opportunity to have a few drinks in the presidential suite of the casino hotel in cairns as one of my friends from the island had decided to spoil himself a little. The next day we drove up to port Douglas which is the cutest little quaint town on the beach. On the drive up we stopped at the beaches and resorts where we could- gorgeous places and beaches but be warned ‘CAUTION, stingers and crocodiles swim in these waters – enter at own risk…’ no place I REALLY want to swim…. My island is my safe haven…



All good things must come to an end as I celebrated my work and life with a bottle of veuve with mom and dad.



Back on the island again and back in the swing of things as I run a million miles a day, sweat 5 litres, swim with the rays in the early morning and well….just enjoy life and all its things. Its 00:15 now and I been running all day… but life is magical to me right now. And I WILL be more efficient in keeping you up to date as this was quite a long tedious and difficult blog to write.



Peace out and happiness to you!

1 comment:

  1. LAAAAAAAAAFFFFFF dit!!! Mis you my fwend!!!en HEY, ekt ook my 5min fame gekry!!hehe
    lierde suzi

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...